Wednesday 31 October 2012

Show and tell: vintage ads and Aboriginal art

This week I am just doing a short little post with some show and tell. I love show and tell... have I mentioned that before?

Since it's my party and I'll cry if I want to - scrap that, its my blog and I'll write what I want to, I am straying from post this week to bring you some vintage ads from the April 1974 edition of National Geographic. I just had to share this advertisement with my archaeologist friends:
100 stone arrowheads for just $15!! We are wasting our time looking for stone tools in the field, we can just mail-order them! Who knew??

Turns out I don't have to stray too far beyond my favoured topic of stamps to bring you the arrowheads ad though, because right below it was another one that also caught my attention:
It has been a quiet (yet busy) week in my little post world, but I don't want to leave you empty handed, so here are some pretty stamps to ponder.



The above stamps are from 2003 and feature acrylic on canvas paintings created by the Papunya Tula artists of the Western Desert. These works are all recent paintings produced between 1999 and 2002 and my "2003 Collection of Australian Stamps" book explains "the painting movement has helped to preserve traditional cultural aspirations, protect tribal lands and revive inherited concepts of social order". All the artists are Pintupi people. I think the paintings, and the stamps, are exquisite.

In sharing the above contemporary works of Aboriginal artists, I also wanted to flag with you, lovely readers, an upcoming extra special blog post that will explore rock art. Should be fun! So watch this space!

2 comments:

  1. Vintage ads are great. But I admit that they make me a bit sad. Mostly when I'm recklessly spending $15 on something stupid like fast food or fish bait (I don't fish), I'll think to myself, "wouldn't this $15 be better spent on something useful like 100 stone arrowheads?!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had 100 stone arrowheads you could perhaps do away with the fishbait all together and take up spear fishing, no?? :)

      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete

Hello internet friends! I love to read your comments - so thanks for sharing ♥