Sunday 11 November 2012

Year of the Blog


Hello friends and welcome to the 50th edition of I heart post!! Can you believe it? Thank you all so much for your continued support and readership - I have so much fun putting this little blog of mine together.

For this milestone edition of I heart post, I am showcasing some of my all-time, number-one, absolute-favourite stamps. Yes, I know strictly speaking I am not allowed to have multiple all-time, number-one absolute favourite stamps... but you know how it is - how could I possibly restrict myself to just one favourite?

This stunning set of stamps represent the twelve year cycle of the Chinese zodiac, with two stamps issued each year between 1992 and 2003. I purchased from a market stall in Beijing in 2004 and I love them. I have always wanted to somehow frame or display them, but I haven't worked out how yet. And I love looking at them as a whole collection so here they all are, together:

Aren't they beautiful? All reds and greens and blacks, with striking calligraphy and stylised creatures? I love how individually they are all very different, yet together they all work in harmony. Each year one stamp featured the Chinese character for the relevant zodiac sign, and the other stamp featured a graphic depiction of the relevant zodiac animal.  Unfortunately my scanner does not do them justice.

So, it may take me a decade to get these beautiful stamps into a frame and onto my wall... but at least I have now shared them all with you, so that they can be properly appreciated! And after all, that is what I set out to do with this blog in the first place - share my collection.


Thanks so much for tuning into another edition of I heart post. I didn't know how best to celebrate notching up 50 blog-entries, but I hope that these Chinese zodiac stamps have done the trick.

I would love to hear any feedback that casual readers and avid observers (Hi Mum and Dad!) may have about how I could make this blog better. I am planning a redesign soon, but would love to hear any suggestions relating to content that you, my lovely readers, may have (Too much archaeology? Not enough pretty pictures? Too many FDCs? Not enough history?).

I am also posting this blog entry as part of Viridian's Sunday Stamps, which I always enjoy participating in: thanks Viridian!  Happy Sunday everyone!


18 comments:

  1. These Chinese stamps are such a wonderful series!
    Congratulations on reaching 50 posts. I just passed post 300 myself.
    Suggestions: White text on balck can be hard on the eyes after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viridian. Yes - I agree. I like the look of the stamps on the black, so that the colours pop, but I am going to do a light coloured background next, to make reading easier on the eye. Thanks for your feedback. :)

      Delete
  2. The stamps would make a beautiful display - a great idea.

    I don't have any particular advice for your blog. I like the content as it is. If I had any design abilities, I'd be improving my own which is sorely in need.

    Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand - I have many absolute all time favourites....
    these are wonderful stamps and thank you for helping me decide that Chinese New Year stamps will be something I want to collect along with Olympics.

    I would agree about the black background being hard on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia issues Chinese New Year stamps each year too - but through the territory of Christmas Island - so you should keep an eye out for those to add to your new topical collection! :)

      Delete
  4. These are lovely stamps and how wonderful to have the full set and to have actually bought them in China!
    Congrats on your 50th blog post, your enthusiasm shines through your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see how they are your all time favourite. It would be nice to display them as part of a Chinese zodiac wheel or as a Chinese scroll but as I haven't got an artistic bone in my body I have no idea of the practicality!
    Congratulations on your 50th post, looking forward to the next 50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.. I like your Chinese zodiac wheel suggestion - and the scroll idea. But am not sure if I would know how to implement. I was thinking of maybe displaying them like an an insect collection of curiosities, pinned in rows in a box frame. Not sure.... I will think on it!

      Delete
  6. I've never seen so many stamps from China in one place. What a colourful lot - especially the first and the last. No wonder they are your favourites.
    Your next 50 will soon come up; you could make it with Sunday Stamps alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! I think about half of my posts have been for Sunday Stamps as it is!

      Delete
  7. I love these stamps Helen, they're gorgeous! And congrats on your 50th blog - I love how enthusiastic you are and how you explain the history of stamps and any personal connections between yourself and them. Keep blogging! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stamps zodiac collection. they are so cool and congrats to your 50th edition!!!

    My Sunday Stamp #42:South Arabia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I was also wondering about this topic :). This is great selection of stamps :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Helen, I always enjoy reading your blog and these Chinese stamps are particularly beautiful. I most like the designs of the bull, the pig and the snake.
    As for your own blog design, the black background is dramatic but the pink writing is a little hard to read. Maybe lemon/yellow writing would be clearer.
    Looking forward to the next 50 blogs!

    ReplyDelete

Hello internet friends! I love to read your comments - so thanks for sharing ♥