Thursday 31 January 2013

Mural made of stamps at NMA


Hey internet! I accidentally didn't manage to do an Australia Day post over the weekend... was distracted by other things. But as I was surfing the net a little while ago I came across these awesome murals made out of stamps! Yep, wicked!

These Flag murals made of stamps are held at the National Museum of Australia and are pretty fun. They are Aussie in theme, so they kind of tie in with the Australia Day long weekend we just enjoyed.


Through the NMA website you can zoom in and get a good look at the individual stamps that make up the collages. They are pretty ace! I have so many spare stamps, but I don't think I have the time or the patience to put something like this together.

Celebrating Australia Day is somewhat fraught, which is part of the reason why I didn't do a themed post at the time. I don't myself refer to it as Invasion Day, but I certainly respect that some people do. But anyhow, it seemed like the right time to share these little pieces of Australiana with you. The murals were made by Alban Watkins to mark the Australian Bicentenary in 1988.

Also, I have a hot date at the museum tonight (not bragging or anything... ok I am totally bragging), so it made sense to post something museum related. I am off to the Melbourne museum, not the National Museum, so I probably won't see stamps. But it should be fun.

Anyhow, check out the Flag murals made of stamps, they form part of an online exhibition which you can access here.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I liked it! It is an excellent idea eum laudable work to art. Helen, thanks for the tip. Your new package was sent this week.

    ReplyDelete

Hello internet friends! I love to read your comments - so thanks for sharing ♥